Monday, September 26, 2011

Officially Promoted

I guess in terms of church callings there aren't really promotions, there is just you doing the Lord's work in whatever capacity he deems you ready to do it. But there are some callings that we receive that are more work and time than others. I have now taken on one of those callings and though I am ready for the challenge I am still very scared that I am just going to mess everything up.

In the past when I have been called to be a teacher it was never a surprise, well that much of a surprise. For whatever reason teaching comes easily to me. Even before I was called to teach in Relief Society, back when I was doing martial arts, I had a great time teaching others all the forms and self defense that they needed to learn for their rank. I loved it then and I love what I get to teach now.

I have recently been teaching my regular lessons on the 3rd Sunday of every month but also volunteering to teach once in a while for Sunday School since there is currently only one teacher called. I have always wanted to teach Sunday School and when I first started doing it I was scared to death, but now I feel very comfortable with it. And by taking the extra time to prepare the lessons for Sunday School I am learning to understand the scriptures much quicker than I ever have before. It has been a real blessing in my life.

But now all that will change as I have taken on this promotion of sorts. I will still get to teach every once and again but I will now be responsible for the well being of all the women of the branch. I am so nervous that I will let them down, that even though I know I have the ability to be a leader, I don't quite have all the skills necessary to achieve this at the moment. I know how this works though, I know that the Lord will give me all the abilities that I require to accomplish this calling if I have the faith and the willingness to get things done. I am reminded of my favorite scripture that refers to missionary work but I like to apply it to all opportunities the Lord gives us to serve him.
"And they shall ago forth and none shall stay them, for I the Lord have commanded them."
- Doctrine and Covenants 1:5

1 comment:

  1. I could not think of a more qualified woman for the calling. I am so excited and happy for you. You make things happen and that is what we need. Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts :)