Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Demon Side (Book Review)

I am not very good at reviews but I figured hey let's give it a try. I just read a great self published book entitled The Demon Side by Heaven Leigh Eldeen


I have to admit I was a little skeptical when I first received the book as a gift. I stared at it for a couple of days, and it stared back. I wanted so much for it to be a really good read because I didn't want to have to tell my mother that I didn't like it. No it is not my mother who wrote it, it was a friend of my mothers. Good news, it was a good book.

I had a little trouble getting into the book at first. I found the whole concept a little hard to grasp. A demon in a home, taunting residents is not so bad it was the demon having feelings part that was hard for me to grasp. P.S. if you are worried I just gave away anything you are mistaken. At page 10 I was worried about a book from a demon's point of view, considering they are terrible beings. At page 50 I was still wondering what path this story was taking.  About 100 pages in I thought to myself this is such a weird, in and interesting way, book. At 150 pages in I was pretty hooked, I didn't want to stop reading even though I couldn't keep my eyes open. And by 200 pages I was ready for the next book in the series.

My favorite parts of the book were actually the parts that focused on things found in the teachings of the church. The concepts of repentance, being forgiven by the Lord for things that we have done, being one as a family and the concept of a marriage that is more than just an earthly one. It is very nice to be able to have a book that subtly brings up ideas that you believe in personally. I think that is why so many female church members enjoy The Twilight Saga. Overall, this is a good book. It has great characters and the story is easy to understand and follow. The foreshadowing was there but not all up in your face, the author clearly doesn't want to treat her readers like they are dumb. Plus this ending is worthy of any M. Night Shyamalan movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts :)